LEDs and Climate Change
Climate change is a hot button issue around the world and many nations, government organizations, and companies large and small are trying to do their part in reducing carbon dioxide emissions. We generally think of reducing our environmental footprint in terms of renewable or sustainable energy and smarter transportation, but LED lighting actually plays a leading role in affecting climate change as well.
LEDs’ Link to Climate Change
According to LightED Magazine, “the use of LEDs to illuminate buildings and outdoor spaces reduced the total carbon dioxide emissions of lighting by an estimated 570 million tons in 2017.” The study was conducted by IHS Markit and concluded that “while other activities affect climate change more than lighting does, it is still a very strong contribution from a single industry sector.”
It’s no wonder! LEDs use an average of 50% less power than fluorescent or high intensity discharge bulbs and 80% less power than older incandescent lighting. And the best part? There’s really no lifestyle shift required when it comes to switching out your old lighting options for new, energy efficient LED EarthBulbs. It’s as easy as changing a light bulb!
Additional Upgrades that Help Climate Change
As you change out old lightbulbs for energy efficient LEDs, there are some other easy things you can do on a regular basis to reduce your energy footprint such as:
- Turning off lights when they’re not in use.
- Turning off the TV and powering down other electronics and appliances when they aren’t being used.
- Washing clothes in cold or warm water, not hot.
- Hanging your clothes outside to dry! Dryers are terrible energy hogs.
- Installing a programmable thermostat that allows you to reduce cooling and heating when you’re not at home or sleeping.
- Looking for the Energy Star when buying new appliances (and light bulbs!) to ensure the best in energy efficiency.
It’s easy to play your part in reducing the rate of climate change by changing the little things in your day-to-day routine and investing in high-quality LED lighting for your commercial space, institution, or home. Contact EarthTronics to learn more about your LED Earthbulb and fixture options, or contact a representative to learn more.